Saturday, February 12, 2011

     I started my walkabout this week! It was great. I meet my mentors for the first time and started to build relationships with everyone. I didn't expect my walkabout to be like this, but I think it worked out great. I've been having problems finding a place that will let me work with the Special Education department because of liability issues. So I thought that it would end up like that at Ridgeview and I would be working with a different teacher. When I got everything worked out with Mrs. Burt I was more sure of what I was going to be doing.
     I went in Monday morning. At first, I was really scared. I was worried that my mentor or students might not like me. The first day, I just kind of sat back and watched to get the feel of how Mrs. Burt runs her class. In her class she has seven kids with autism. She is one of four teachers at Ridgeview. I've gotten to meet almost everyone. I think. This week I just stayed with Mrs. Burt everyday. Next week I start in other rooms so I can see each room, and the difference between the classes and students.  I also get to help out in gym and art class. I haven't got to work with all of the students but i have worked with a few.
     After the first day I jumped in and started working with the children. I felt very comfortable getting involved. All of the teachers and aids, were so open to letting me help out and letting me learn what I could. They answered all of my questions and very helpful with my education. This is way different then what I thought it was going to be.My mentor pointed out the children don't really shock me. I was surprised when she said that to me. It was nice to hear just like any other compliment. I think I got lucky with my walkabout because they are so open and helpful with me.
     I'm really excited to continue my walkabout here. So far it's been great and I've enjoyed all of my time there. Each student is very different and have there own interests. In the social studies class the students were learning about people that were heros during the Civil Rights movement. Well my teacher was talking about Franklin D. Roosevelt, and one one the students said, "Franklin Devonte Roosevelt?" I just thought I had to include it

1 comment:

  1. Oh, you don't know him? I thought everyone knew Franklin Davonte Roosevelt! :) As you are probably experiencing, kids do say pretty funny stuff. :) I'm glad things are going well, Scarlett. It sounds like you have settled in well. I am looking forward to more updates as your time progresses!

    ReplyDelete