Thursday, January 13, 2011

Week 1.

      I am starting this blog so everyone can access and see what I'm doing for Walkabout. For those of you don't know exactly what Walkabout is, it's an internship that we have all day for our second semester seniors. This is to help us take on responsibilities of an adult and learn more about our interests. As most of you know I want to be a teacher so my Walkabouts are based on that. My first one is at Ridgeview Middle School, and my second one at Duhlburg. 
      I'm taking a Game Theory as my Winterum this year. We are learning how to play games such as Hold 'em, Black Jack 21, and Craps. We learn the math that goes along with it. I've so far learned how to count the cards in Black Jack and see how many high cards are left in the deck. I learned the percentage of winning a hand in Hold 'em and figure out the probability of getting the cards you need to make your hand better. Right now we are learning Craps. I love my Winterum because I get to learn these things.
     I am also still trying to get a hold of Ridgeview. It seems to be pretty hard to get in contact with them to get my Walkabout set up. It's becoming very stressful and scary to know it's not set in stone yet. I have everything I need finished, just need the meeting with my mentor. I never thought when I was an underclassman that Walkabout would be so scary. I've always been confident in what I do. When everyone let go and I had to start doing everything for myself I saw what I had to do to get everything done. I had to do it alone. I'm pretty proud that I've gotten this far though. I just recently turned 18, so of course I had more things I had to worry about.
     I also took my SAT's, and got my scores back last week. They weren't as high as I hoped so I plan on re-taking them to get a better score. I haven't been to site this week either. I called my site and talked to the secretary and she informed me that they were having an early release and I was already not going to make it due to the weather. I took Today off to head up to Ridgeview, and I can't meet with her until after lunch. So I'm hoping all goes well at my interview today to set up how my time there is going to go.
     I'm excited, but worried at the same time. I'm excited to start being independent and learn how to do things on my own and not depend on my parents to do things for me i can do for myself. I'm hoping to get the most out of this as I can. It's kind of sad to watch everyone leave for Walkabout, but everyone in our class seems to have something pretty cool they are doing and learning. This should be fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment